Women’s Soccer

Womens+Soccer

Paetyn Tatro, Staff Writer

Wahconah’s 2022 Women’s Soccer teams are pumped and ready for the season! While the season didn’t have the smoothest start, they are certainly coming out strong. They have been in close, evenly-matched games played by the very dedicated Varsity and JV teams.

Some highlights from past games are JV’s first-ever win against Hampshire, which was in the books as a 4-2. #5, Natalie Aldrich, had a beautiful goal, made from a direct free kick that went soaring above everyone and straight into the goal. Unfortunately, it was considered offsides (which still confuses the team to this day, but it was too beautiful of a shot not to be considered). If you ask anyone on JV, they’ll say it was a 5-2 game.

Another is from the JV’s game against Hoosac, which was an overwhelming 8-1 win. Many people who don’t normally get playing time were able to in that game, allowing everyone to get a lot better at passing the ball. They also improved on traps, crosses, and shooting simply because everyone had more chances to do so. Overall, it was a fun game to play and watch.

However, JV isn’t the only girls’ soccer team playing this season; the Varsity team is killing it out on the field. From the cohesiveness of the overall team to the individual skills of each player. The defense does an amazing job defending our half of the field. They are really working together as a single unit. The offense makes scoring look easy, a formidable feat, and impressive, to say the least. And, of course, the mid-fielders, who bring both together and make the flow of the field seamless.

Special shoutouts to specific Varsity players. Starting with Olivia Gamberoni, one of the star shooters on the Varsity team with an impressive list of goals. On the topic of goals, the goalies Edrie Collins and Adelyn Furlong have been doing amazing so far this season. They have had many spectacular saves all throughout the season thus far. Finally, the two freshmen players that made Varsity, Anna Doyle and Madison McCarthy!