Breaking News
The Student News Site of Wahconah Regional High School

The Main Street Crier

The Main Street Crier

The Main Street Crier

Kung Fu Panda 4
Kung Fu Panda 4
April 12, 2024
Is the SAT Worth It
Is the SAT Worth It
April 12, 2024
Track Boys Article
April 12, 2024
Softball
April 12, 2024

Wahconah Football Uses Its “Physicality” To Try And Be Back On Top

After a heartbreaking loss to West Boylston in the second round of the 2022 state playoffs, the Wahconah football team is looking to get back on track and make a statement. The Warriors were a strong team last year led by captains: Doug Collins, Owen Salvatore, Lucas Pickard, and Zander Walton. But, also by many other seniors that helped lead the team. They led Wahconah to a 6-2 record and won the first round of the State playoffs. But now that these guys were gone, which meant that work needed to be done. Head coach Gary Campbell Jr. knows how to prepare his kids though, which starts from the beginning of January all the way up to the day before football season starts. This also meant that new leaders needed to step up. Wahconah elected Jonathan Howard, Noah Porier, and Daniel Epe to lead this Wahconah team. This year’s small senior class though, brought big opportunities for the juniors to be a huge part of this team. 

Wahconah’s schedule had a shift this year allowing for two new opponents, which consisted of the South Hadley Tigers and Wilmington Wildcats in a switch for Lee and Taconic. This raised Wahconah’s strength of schedule, but their physicality allows them to play tough teams like this, and their togetherness creates the opportunity to beat them. The Warriors started the journey this year at South Hadley, which was a routine win for them as they were led by senior running back Payton Shippee. They then were brought all the way out to eastern Boston to face the Wildcats which was a massive game for the Warriors. The physicality was there, but the turnovers led to a 28-8 loss. The Warriors now with a loss on their back, come to face their rivals PHS. The Warriors rolled through them like always bringing them up to 2-1.

The Warriors had a sneaky opponent. The Amherst Hurricanes were 3-0 and looking for revenge from last year. A tough fight by both teams, but the Hurricanes turned out victorious. Next, Wahconah had an even tougher opponent: the 4-0 West Springfield Terriers. This team was also out for revenge as the Warriors defeated them last year in a close game. The Warriors lost on their home field and were sitting at a 2-3 record, wondering what was going to happen next. The Warriors moved on though, staying together and positive to get ready for their next opponent: the Agawam Brownies. The Warriors needed this win for a confidence boost and to get back on track. The Brownies fought hard, but the Warriors came with more determination and want, allowing them to seal a 28-7 victory led by junior Garret Taylor who had two interceptions and two touchdowns.

Now with only two games left, the Warriors are sitting at 3-3 and the 9th seed in the 2023 State playoffs. With East Longmeadow and Northampton left, the Warriors have to prove their toughness to seal these games and move up to the top.

Donate to The Main Street Crier

Your donation will support the student journalists of Wahconah Regional High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.