Breaking News
The Student News Site of Wahconah Regional High School

The Main Street Crier

The Main Street Crier

The Main Street Crier

Garden of Time
The Met Gala 2024
June 4, 2024

Ruby Vroom by Soul Coughing

Music With Matty

Released in 1994, Soul Coughing’s debut album Ruby Vroom is very interesting. Many of the songs on the record have a slam poetry feel to them. With a runtime of sixty one minutes, the album contains 14 songs. Onomatopoeia, half sung poetry, and jazzy melodies, Ruby Vroom has it all! Here are my standout tracks: “Is Chicago Is Not Chicago,” “Bus to Beelzebub,” and “Screenwriters Blues.” 

“Is Chicago Is Not Chicago” is a great opener to the album. A persistent bass line couples with twitchy guitar and vocals fading in with the lyrics “A man drives a plane into the Chrysler Building…” Drums hit shortly after, making the song fall into a groove that will carry through the rest of the album. Something to really bob your head to. A few tracks later we reach “Bus to Beelzebub.” Don’t let the xylophone and dramatic string intro throw you off, this song is great. The chaotic strings throughout the song serve to add atmosphere to its weird nature. The last minute of the track erupts into chaotic jazz. It reminded me of Radiohead’s “National Anthem.” I would compare it to a town carnival. It’s not for everyone, but it can be an excellent time. “Screenwriters Blues” is my favorite song off the record. It leans more heavily on the slam poetry part of the album but the music behind the lyrics doesn’t lack. Once again, drums and bass carry the majority of the melody, string and horn accompaniment add flavor to it.

Soul Coughing is a gem among underrated 90’s bands. Their sound is very unique and Ruby Vroom captures that perfectly. I highly recommend listening to it on your own and forming your own opinion on Soul Coughing’s Ruby Vroom. This albums worth it, 8.5/10. 

Donate to The Main Street Crier

Your donation will support the student journalists of Wahconah Regional High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.