Breaking News
The Student News Site of Wahconah Regional High School

The Main Street Crier

The Main Street Crier

The Main Street Crier

Garden of Time
The Met Gala 2024
June 4, 2024

Brain Rot: Problematic or Playful?

Skibidi Toilet
Skibidi Toilet

“Good skibidi morning Wahconah,” the words said by our beloved principal Aaron Robb that set the whole school aflame, separating us into several groups. The addition of a single word to the morning routine in our school made those not up to date with today’s “Brain Rot” culture more apparent. If you’ve fallen into this category, we’re here to summarize.

“Brain Rot” is a very loose term that’s been thrown around since the internet was able to fit in our pockets. It usually refers to a massive inside joke/meme that circulates through social media that wouldn’t make sense unless you were in on it. In the past, these memes would be dragged out over several weeks or months. But recently, there’s seemingly a new source of “brain rot” once every few days. Only the most universal and popular of these jokes survive over the duration of a week in the form of slang words. The more notable of these would be “Fanum Tax” (the process of taking another’s food), “Rizz” and “Aura” (the action(s) of being charismatic), and of course “Skibidi” (a fictional word that is used as a universal adjective). Most people seem to be on the same page despite there being no official definition for each word. This can be to the advantage or disadvantage of anyone within earshot.

Now you may be wondering, how can I “stay in the loop?” To which we say, you really just have to be there. As previously mentioned, these are all huge inside jokes. And, like with any inside joke, you just have to be there. To stay in touch, it would be bad advice to simply tell someone to just stay on social media. That may help you, but it varies from platform to platform, and what videos are recommended to you. The algorithm within your phone must recognize that you find “Brain Rot” humorous. This leads back to the fact that everything related to this topic is all about whether you’re in on the jokes or not.  

Donate to The Main Street Crier

Your donation will support the student journalists of Wahconah Regional High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.