Breaking News
The Student News Site of Wahconah Regional High School

The Main Street Crier

The Main Street Crier

The Main Street Crier

Kung Fu Panda 4
Kung Fu Panda 4
April 12, 2024
Is the SAT Worth It
Is the SAT Worth It
April 12, 2024
Track Boys Article
April 12, 2024
Softball
April 12, 2024

Is Naumkeag Worth the Cost?

In December, my Instagram feed fills up with dazzling photos of Naumkeag’s winter light show. The allure is undeniable. But does the experience live up to the hype? For its sixth year, Naumkeag has hosted a successful winter lights show across three of their properties, igniting the holiday spirit with vivid, captivating lights. The sparkling lights create a great setting to take pictures which is what a majority of the crowd goes for. The walk through could take anywhere from 25 minutes to an hour depending on your pace. Naumkeag tickets sell fast and for an expensive price of $30. Is it worth the investment? In short, no. 

This was my second year attending, and I found it slightly underwhelming. Compared to last year’s experience, this year’s walk through the lights felt shorter. As we completed the tour, my immediate reaction was, “That’s it?” At $30 per person, the cost quickly adds up, especially for families. A family of four is paying $120 just to stroll through the lights.

Admittedly, Naumkeag does have its pros. It could serve as an adorable and memorable idea for a winter date if you’re willing to pay $60. The photos captured are compelling; scrolling through your camera roll afterward might prompt a desire to return next year. However, if you’re only seeking winter lights, the Berkshires is covered in luminous light displays.

Following this year’s experience, I’ve decided against attending again. While I don’t fully discourage it, I find the price tag unjustifiably high.

Donate to The Main Street Crier

Your donation will support the student journalists of Wahconah Regional High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.