One Of Us is Next Book Review

One Of Us is Next Book Review

Abby Cobb, Senior Editor

One of Us is Next is the sequel to One of Us is Lying, and throughout the entire book, the author, Karen M. McManus, manganese to keep the readers on their toes with crazy plot twists and surprises.

Ever since Simon Kelleher died last year, there have been multiple copycat apps that try to reveal gossip about the students at Bayview High School. But none of them could compare to Simon’s app, About That. That is until a game of truth or dare started through a text. It’s not normal truth or dares though. Choose the truth and one of your deepest darkest secrets is revealed and you can end up losing lots of friends. Choose dare and you pass and maybe even gain popularity. The participants learn quickly that they should always choose dare. But Phoebe, Maeve, and Knox want to put an end to it after they all become victims of the truth.

A lot of people get hurt along the way and some even die. I thought this book was absolutely phenomenal. I read the first book of the series and wondered what McManus could possibly do to make a sequel. She introduced new characters and a new plot which was very similar to the first book. McManus left me guessing the entire time. Her writing is enticing and thrilling and left me longing for the next page. She even left me speechless with her creative writing. I constantly found myself getting angry or upset with the characters’ decisions because of the way McManus would portray them.

I cared about this book, which for me, hardly ever happens. I usually feel like reading is a chore, but this book made it feel like a choice. The ending was completely unexpected which makes me believe McManus did not even know who Anonymous was going to be until she revealed it. McManus also focused on developing one main character, Maeve, much more than the other two main characters, Phoebe and Knox.

Overall, this book was very good. I have very little to complain about. I would 100% recommend this book to anyone who loves mystery.