Breaking News
The Student News Site of Wahconah Regional High School

The Main Street Crier

The Main Street Crier

The Main Street Crier

Kung Fu Panda 4
Kung Fu Panda 4
April 12, 2024
Is the SAT Worth It
Is the SAT Worth It
April 12, 2024
Track Boys Article
April 12, 2024
Softball
April 12, 2024

Nordic Skiing

Nordic+Skiing

With a disappointing winter thus far, Nordic Skiing has made a comeback! The snow is finally flying and accumulating. That means athletes can finally hop on skis and start hitting the trails! Nordic is a particular sport as it takes a lot of natural snow to cover the area to ski. Making snow over the miles it takes in a ski race is difficult so Nordic has taken to Butternut, an alpine mountain for their first race. 

Wahconah did very well and put up some amazing times, especially for not touching snow all year. The Boys’ team landed comfortably in second in the League of 10 schools from the surrounding counties with Fritz Sanders placing 3rd in the race with a time of 10:35 on the three-lap course. Following him were Aidan Garcia, Jack Curtiss, and Owen Tucker with times around 12 minutes. Wahconah landed 6 boys in the top 20.

The Girls’ Team pulled through while resting their top skier Vienna Mahar. Megan Tucker, Natylee Martin, and Skylar Rosier put up some impressive times to match the competitive Lenox Skiers. 

The next race for Wahconah will be on Saturday at Mount Greylock. The morning race will see even more skiers returning from sickness and breaks. The competition is blooming now! At this last race, many of the JV skiers and top placers looked around and saw who they were up against and Wahconah was hungry to climb the ladder to the very top. The Boys’ team is especially deep this year with many upperclassmen and strong skiers to pull through those 6 and 7 spots. After landing a 3rd place in the States the previous year, the team is looking for a repeat!

Nordic has had a strong start! Every Saturday morning the team will be heading out for fast 5ks on snow! The next home races are the three weekends before Winter Break! Be sure to show up!

Donate to The Main Street Crier

Your donation will support the student journalists of Wahconah Regional High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.