Breaking News
The Student News Site of Wahconah Regional High School

The Main Street Crier

The Main Street Crier

The Main Street Crier

Kung Fu Panda 4
Kung Fu Panda 4
April 12, 2024
Is the SAT Worth It
Is the SAT Worth It
April 12, 2024
Track Boys Article
April 12, 2024
Softball
April 12, 2024

Yondr Pouches: Yes or No?

Yondr Pouches: Yes or No?

As of Monday, October 16, Yondr pouches were distributed throughout the student body and staff at Wahconah Regional High School. Prior to this day, many complaints were directed towards the staff of WRHS. All I listened to for about a month were complaints about the “new” no-phone rule. On the first day of school, I decided to leave my phone in my locker all day. This was a huge change for me considering I was used to the usual weight of it in my back pocket. However, I actually really loved not having a constant distraction available to me. I began talking more and picking up information in my classes a lot easier. I continued doing this for the whole first month or so of school. Although I know many of my peers would completely disagree with my opinion, I believe that the removal of phones in our school environment is a very positive thing for those who are willing to give it a chance. 

When listening to the complaints of my peers, I began to realize that we have extreme reliance on our phones. Phones are useful for so many reasons. Being able to call and text your friends from wherever you need to whenever you need to is such a groundbreaking and amazing thing. However, I realized that I would actually much rather live without my phone constantly on me than by going on it all the time. Being present in the moment and giving people my undivided attention has become a really big thing to me. I may sound crazy, but the thought of a potential life where cell phones never even existed seems almost like my personal heaven. 

Along with just being on my phone, using my AirPods to constantly listen to music was also an issue of mine. Being unable to have a secret AirPod without the risk of immediate detention has become extremely beneficial for my grades and learning abilities. In fact, I have been able to maintain excellent grades so far during my junior year. I have also become so much more extroverted than I was before. I mean, I wasn’t always on my phone, but it was what I resorted to when being put in awkward situations. Now, with only about a month and a half with no phone, I feel as though my social skills have really developed. I no longer hide with music blasting in my ears. I think I have really relied on my phone for a long time, and getting rid of that reliance has been very beneficial to my life.

Although I have liked the more enforced version of the Wahconah phone policy, I questioned how necessary the enforcement of Yondr pouches is. I found that although with protest, the original rule from the beginning of the school worked relatively well. Every teacher I have was actually enforcing the rule, threatening a write-up or give detention if the rule wasn’t followed correctly. Then again came the people who don’t care about being sent to the office or about being handed detentions. I can see how this would put the school in a tough position. Keep handing out detentions, or just end the issue with Yondr pouches? 

After some thought, I completely respect and understand the school’s decision to use the pouches. I believe that enforced Yondr pouches create a great middle ground between the people who struggle to stay off their phones, the people who go on them anyway, and the people who will easily stay off of them. Although everyone is complaining and dislikes this rule, you can’t blame the school’s decision after they’ve tried almost everything and have failed to keep everyone away from their phones each time. This decision was costly, however, thus far, it seems to be a very effective way of keeping us away from these distracting devices.

Donate to The Main Street Crier

Your donation will support the student journalists of Wahconah Regional High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.